Practice Areas

Aggressive Trial Lawyers

Contact Us

Contempt of Court

Lakeland Criminal Defense Lawyers | West Haven FL Criminal Law Attorney

Over the course of your divorce proceedings, you and your spouse probably had to come to agreements about property division, child custody, alimony, and many other important matters. Once the divorce is final, you are both expected to abide by those agreements. Failure to comply can be considered “contempt of court,” and can lead to serious consequences.

If you are unsatisfied with any terms you originally agreed to during your divorce, or if your financial situation has changed and made it impossible to keep up with child support or alimony payments, the correct thing to do is to file for a modification of court orders. Unfortunately, whether out of anger or spite, many people simply refuse to comply with orders. If your ex-spouse is withholding your payments, you have the right to take him or her to court for contempt to face penalties ranging from wage garnishment to jail time.

On the other hand, you may be held in contempt for what amounts to a misunderstanding or a very real change in your circumstances that has not yet been resolved. In this case, you need an attorney who can fight to defend you against these charges.

Our Polk County Family Attorney Will Protect Your Rights

When contempt issues arise after a divorce, you need an attorney who will fight hard to protect your rights. Our family lawyers have years of experience representing clients in all aspects of Florida family law, including post-divorce matters such as contempt of court and order modifications. Whether you are pressing charges, fighting charges, or just have questions about contempt of court, contact us and schedule a free consultation with a top Central Florida family lawyer today.

The experienced Lakeland personal injury attorneys at Allen & Abaray, P.A. aggressively pursue accident injury cases throughout the state of Florida. If you or a loved one has been injured in an auto accident, truck accident, slip and fall accident, or have suffered any type of injury because of someone else's negligence, call 1-863-669-9999 today for a free consultation.

Call Us Today! TOLL FREE


5835 U.S. Highway 98 South   Lakeland, Florida 33812   Toll Free: 877-669-6899   Ph: (863) 669-9999   Fax: (863) 669-0699